Don't know a COC from a MRC, thought a NOVA was a small Vauxhall hatchback and IVA some form of artificial insemination, to tackle UK vehicle registration you'll need to either start studying or why not let me help.

Peter Anderson

UK Vehicle Registration Terminology, Acronyms & Abbreviations Used


BTI: Binding Tariff Information

To obtain a pre-agreed import tariff with HMRC

COC: European Certificate of Conformity.

Also know as Type Approval this is the manufactures testing certificate to allow registration in the EU.

C&E/Duty: Custom & Excise Duty.

Tax on vehicle imported from outside EU.

C&E 109 Import And Export: Private Motor Vehicle Application.

Application for release from conditions of relief.

C&E 386: HMRC Customs Clearance Document.

Now discontinued, may be relevant on old import if vehicle has been in storage.

C384: Import and Export: Private Motor Vehicle Form.

Application for release on payment of Customs Duty, and VAT.

Date/Let: Dating Letter

Makers letter confirming date vehicle manufactured.

DVLA: Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency.

UK vehicle registration & licensing authority.

DVSA: Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency.

Authority administrating MOT and IVA.

ENO: Import Entry Number.

HMRC number confirms import is in processing system.

EORI: Economic Operator Registration & Identification

Replaced Pseudo Turn enables you to deal with HMRC (e.g. for a BTI)

EU: European Union

Countries who are trading partners of UK

Facia: Speedometer Dial Overlay.

Most non-digital speedometers have a dial display if reading KPH only require replacement facia.

Heri/Cert: Heritage Certificate.

Document often required to establish/verify vehicles history.

Historic: Tax Class Historic Vehicle.

Vehicle first registered and/or manufactured pre 01/01/1975.

HMRC: Her Majesties Revenue & Customs.

UK Customs Authority.

Hom/Dept: Homologation Department.

Manufactures division dealing with COC, State/Comp & Date/Let.

ID: Keepers Identification and Confirmation of Address.

A copy of photo driving licence of other listed documents.

Ins/Cert: Insurance Certificate or Insurance Cover Note.

Document showing insurance cover on vehicle.

KPH: Kilometres Per Hour.

Referred to on a COC as Metric.

MOT: Ministry of Transport Test.

DVSA test required on vehicles registered for 3 years, Pre 1960 vehicles exempt .

MPH: Miles Per Hour.

Referred to on a COC as Imperial.

MRC: Mutual Recognition Certificate.

Document confirms vehicle now to full UK specification.

NCH: National Clearance Hub.

HMRC customs clearance team.

NOVA: Notification of Vehicle Arrival.

All imported vehicle must be on this HMRC system.

Reg/Fee: First Registration Fee.

DVLA fee currently £55.

Reg: Registration Number.

Vehicle registration number, UK format of month & year of first registration.

RGR: Returned Goods Relief

Grant of total or partial Relief from Import Duty

SAD C88: Single Administrative Document.

Document detailing goods and there movement.

SORN: Statutory Off Road Notification.

To notify DVLA vehicle off-road & untaxed.

Speedo: Speedometer.

Instrument showing vehicles speed which must show imperial units (MPH) in the UK.

State/Comp: Statement of Compliance.

Confirmation of specification & date manufactured required for IVA if RHD non European import.

V149: Rates of Vehicle Tax.

UK road taxation rates relative to age, engine size & CO2 emissions.

V267: Declaration of Newness.

Form stating vehicle imported is new and has never been registered.

V55/5: Application for First Vehicle Tax and Registration of Used Motor Vehicle.

V55/4: Application for First Vehicle Tax and Registration of New Motor Vehicle.

V627/1: Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report.

For Kit Cars or rebuilt or substantially changed vehicles.

V765: Application to Register a Vehicle Under its Original Registration Number.

Required if you have evidence of previous UK registration.

V765/1: List of Vehicle Owners Clubs.

These are DVLA approved organization that can issue Heritage Certificates.

V888: Request by an Individual for Information about a Vehicle.

DVLA held vehicle history.

V890: SORN Application Form.

Notification vehicle is off-road & untaxed.

V959: Notification of Name & Address Check.

Trade plate holders verification of having checked keepers details.

VAT: Value Added Tax.

Tax calculated on vehicles value.

VCA: Vehicle Certification Agency.

Agency that issues MRC this verifies vehicle now to full UK specification.

VIN: Vehicle Identification Number.

Unique vehicle number often referred to as Chassis Number.

TELEPHONE 020 8591 5489

MOBILE 07860 874984


imported vehicles registration

Help With Imported Vehicles

barn finds registration

Help With Classic Cars

classic cars registration

Help With Barn Finds